Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Asaichi and the Beginning of Classes

Yesterday I dragged myself out of bed at 5:30 (I've already gotten over jet lag, so it felt ungodly early...) and headed out to see the nearby asaichi (morning market) where you can see loads of fresh seafood and some very expensive melons (at 10,000 yen, they're about $100 each). I was able to sample a tiny slice for the bargain price of 100 yen, and though it was without a doubt the best melon I have ever tasted, it's hard to justify charging that much for fruit.

seafood everywhere

some very pricey melons

The morning market is also home to a host of tiny restaurants, all specializing in seafood. With such stiff competition it's no wonder that they turn to extreme measures to attract attention.... like serving squid ink ice cream or a special donburi with raw squid tentacles still squirming atop it!

one of the unfotunate victims outside the donburiya

squid ink ice cream

Classes began yesterday with the posting of level assignments. Apparently I didn't fail the placement test as much as I thought and ended up in the advanced level (yay!), which will mean playing catch-up on kanji and vocab (though I think I'm ok when it comes to grammar). If the first night's homework is any indication, the textbook is quite challenging with readings pulled from scholarly articles and vocab lists miles long.

HIF requires that we do some sort of independent study project in the community. I was thinking of doing mine on traditional Japanese dance after a suggestion by my teacher, so I asked the office to help me check if there was a studio nearby. It turns out there is one in Hakodate, and the program director very kindly took me there and helped me set up twice weekly lessons. By a stroke of luck, one of the fellow students lives next to my homestay house and can give me a ride to my lessons (which would be two transfers and more than an hour away by bus). After a beautiful demonstration by one of the students I can't wait for my first class on Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. squid ink incream!!?? wow that sounds interesting....I've seen wasabi icecream and soba icecream(don't know how they make it) but not squid ink...

    it's so cool that you can take dance lessons! sugoi! ganbatte!

    ReplyDelete